The Oxford Electric Bell, known as the Clarendon Dry Pile, has been ringing continuously on the same battery for over 176 Years.
The bell is located in a corridor adjacent to the foyer of the Clarendon Laboratory at the University of Oxford, England.
First displayed in 1840, it was constructed by instrument makers Watkin and Hill, and purchased by professor of physics Reverend Robert Walker. The bell may have been constructed in 1825.
The bell has produced approximately 10 billion rings since 1840 and holds the Guinness World Record as the world’s most durable battery.